Year 7 update
Dear Year 7 parents,
With the spring term in full swing it is also time to look ahead, and for the Year 7 class of 2025, this means thinking about their transition to the Upper School.
Year 7 transition to the Upper School
- Upper School house placement: All families have completed and submitted a form outlining any family connection to the Upper School house system. Students without any previous family connection are placed in a house according to numbers, academic background, co-curricular interests, and group dynamics. House placements were emailed to parents this week.
- Year 7 mentoring program: All Year 7s will be assigned a Year 10 mentor by their adviser next year. As we are not able to attend the usual Norval retreat, we will instead use a survey to make matches that will form the basis for a deep relationship your son will cultivate with his mentor next year. Students from both grades will be sent a Google form survey to determine their interests, needs and hopes from the mentoring program. Your son’s new senior house adviser will carefully review the responses and make mentor/mentee matches. In late May, your son will receive an invitation for a virtual gathering with his new mentor and the rest of the Year 7s and 10s in their house. Student house leaders will facilitate connection and conversation in small groups.
- Year 7 parent evening: This information session will take place on Wed. May 13 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. A link for a Zoom meeting will be shared with Year 7 parents closer to the event. The evening will consist of a presentation about the Year 8 program and Upper School. The Upper School administrative team will be available to answer questions. It is strongly suggested that at least one parent attend. Year 7 boys do not attend this event.
Year 7 Graduation
Due to the social gathering restrictions associated with the pandemic, we will be unable to host a Year 7 graduation ceremony in June. The following is our plan to offer a modified experience for the boys:
- Celebration photo: Every family is encouraged to share with us a photo of their son celebrating their graduation from the Prep School with their family at home. We will compile the photos into a slideshow that will be shared during a virtual Year 7 assembly in June. Details concerning how and when to share your photo will be provided in a future email from Mr. Evans.
- Year 7 graduation composite photo, certificate and sweatshirt: All families have completed and submitted a form outlining how they would like their son’s name to appear in the graduation composite photo and graduation certificate. Please click here to read instructions from CanGrad Studios on how to take a photo of your son for the 2019-2020 graduation composite photo. Please adhere to the timeline they have provided. Also, please feel comfortable with reaching out to CanGrad Studios should you have any questions.
The Year 7 graduation composite photo, certificate, and sweatshirt will be made available for curbside pick up or mailed to you. More details are forthcoming and are dependent on the advice by Toronto Public Health.
- Fall 2020 Graduation Ceremony: UCC will continue to monitor guidelines provided by Health Canada and Toronto Public Health. If guidelines allow, we are considering a face-to-face graduation experience for the boys in the Fall of 2020 as this is the ideal way to celebrate your son’s experience at the Prep and his transition to the Upper School.
Assistant Head of the Preparatory School: Middle Division