Western University National Scholarship Program
The National Scholarship Program at Western University is designed to reward students who demonstrate an all-round excellence in academic and extra-curricular achievement. These scholarships are awarded to candidates who demonstrate an aptitude for creative and innovative thought and a passion for the pursuit of learning. A special emphasis is placed on the candidate’s commitment to community service as demonstrated through ongoing contributions to school and community life.
The program consists of:
- 5 President’s Entrance Scholarships (valued at $65,000 over 4 years);
- 15 President’s Entrance Scholarships (valued at $50,000 over 4 years);
- 3 International President’s Entrance Scholarships (valued at $50,000 over 4 years);
- 15 Faculty Entrance Scholarships (valued at $30,000 over 4 years);
- 1 Beryl Ivey Continuing Entrance Scholarship (valued at $64,000 over 4 years);
- 50 National Merit Awards (valued at $2,000 for one year);
- 39 National Scholarship Study Abroad Awards (valued at $2500 for one term and $5000 for more than one term).
To be eligible for the scholarship program, you must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (except for the International President’s Entrance Scholarship). You must have a minimum average of 90% in all your Grade 12 (4U/4M) credits, not just your “best six.” Students interested in the Beryl Ivey award must fill out a supplemental application, as there is a financial need component to this scholarship.
UCC is allowed to nominate only four students for this program. If Western is your top choice university and you are interested in being sponsored, please submit your completed application to Ms Berndsen by 9 a.m. Monday, January 11. Please note that the application includes a 1000-1250 word essay on an issue of public concern and therefore you must set aside sufficient time to complete this component.
The online application form (including all supporting documentation) is due at Western by mid-February.
Interested students can download a PDF of the application form from last year here. As always, students should check with their university counselor before they begin the application in order to ensure that they are suitable candidates.