Technology – Things to do as the end of the year approaches
At the Prep, 2020–21 has been another extraordinary year! Thank you for all of your technology support as we shifted between learning at school and learning at home. Please take some time to make yourself aware of the details outlined below regarding UCC technology:
- SK–4 iPads must be returned to school since they are reaching the end of their lease. If you have already left the Toronto area with a UCC iPad or are planning to do so before the end of the school year, please contact our Helpdesk at 416-488-1125, ext. 3323 asap so that drop-off arrangements can be made.
- Families and students moving from Year 5 to Year 6, as well as those leaving UCC, will lose access to all their work in Seesaw after June 30. Please download any work on Seesaw that you want to save.
- Year 5–7 students will keep their laptops at home this summer — use them as you see fit.
- Year 7 students will need to return their laptop bags to the Prep so that younger students may use them.
All SK–4 iPads are needed back at school this summer:
Every two to three years we lease new iPads for students to use. This summer we will be getting new iPads for the 2021–22 school year. All iPads currently in use will need to be returned to campus at the end of the school year. New ones will be available in the fall.
- If you are staying in Toronto until the end of the school year, you will receive further instructions about drop-off times.
- If you are planning to leave the Toronto area before June 16, you will need to bring the iPad to the Prep School before you leave. Please bring the iPad, charger, and any other peripherals to the Prep School during school hours (Mon – Fri, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.). When you get to the school, contact our Helpdesk at 416-488-1125 , ext. 3323 and a technician will meet you at the front door.
- If you have already left the city with no intention of returning before June 16th, then you will need to ship the laptop and peripherals to 200 Lonsdale Road, Toronto, Ontario, M4V 1W6, care of the IT Department. Please do this as soon as the iPad is no longer needed for classroom work, the latest being June 16th.
Save Seesaw work if you want to keep it:
Only families and students returning to SK–Year 5 at UCC in the fall will continue to have access to work in Seesaw via the Family app or online.
Students moving from Year 5 to Year 6, as well as those leaving UCC will lose access to all their work in Seesaw after June 30. Any work you wish to keep can be downloaded and saved by clicking the 3 dots on individual Learning Journal entries or by following the instructions here.
Year 5–7 laptops stay at home:
If your child has been using a school laptop and is returning in September, the laptop will remain at home for the summer. Please do not feel compelled to use it. You are welcome to use it or lock it away for the summer if that best meets the needs of your family. Students who are not returning in September will receive specific drop-off information closer to the end of the school year.
If you do allow your child to use their UCC laptop in the summer, please be aware that students cannot add any new applications that are not in the Manager app set up by the school. They do, however, have browser access. Should you wish to block any websites, that would need to be done using methods such as those outlined by Jim Laplante in a past edition of Heads Up. Finally, we encourage you to set clear rules around usage as per the “Tips for Parents” towards the end of this Technology Guide for Prep Parents.
If you run into any issues regarding UCC laptops in the summer, please contact our HelpDesk at HelpDesk@ucc.on.ca.
Return of Year 7 laptop bags:
Year 7 laptop bags need to be collected at the end of the school year so that we can re-use the bags for incoming students. As we will finish the year in a remote learning scenario, we will coordinate the drop-off of laptop bags with the pick-up of Year 7 graduation materials. More details will be communicated about this plan at a later date.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions, concerns or suggestions.
Technology Integrator SK-5
Technology Integrator 6-7