Heads Up

Welcome to Heads Up, your one-stop source for news about your son’s upcoming activities and events.

Studying Outside the Country? Don’t Forget Your Visa!

Once you are accepted at a university outside Canada, you face the additional complication of acquiring a government visa granting you formal permission to pursue your studies (unless you are a citizen of that country). Because the paper work can take some time to clear, it is important that you commence the visa application process as soon as you have accepted a firm offer of admission from a foreign school.

The International Student Office of your university is happy to provide you with the information and support you will need to complete the visa process. The website of the consular office/embassy of the country in which you plan to study should also provide helpful insights concerning the required documents. Information about US visas can be found here; for information about UK visas, click here.

In some cases, you may be required to have an interview with a consular officer before your visa is granted. You should check with the consulate to see if there is a long waiting list for the interviews; if there is, you may need to schedule now in order to obtain an appointment before the end of the summer. In all cases, you should prepare as many of the documents as possible (e.g. proof of financial support) prior to receiving your final grades in July. Once your IB results come in, the final UCC transcripts and confirmation of your university acceptance can be arranged so that the visa application can be submitted in time to commence your studies in the fall.