Heads Up

Welcome to Heads Up, your one-stop source for news about your son’s upcoming activities and events.

Studying outside the country? Don’t forget your visa!

Once you are accepted at a university outside Canada, you face the additional complication of acquiring a government visa granting you formal permission to pursue your studies (unless you are a citizen of that country). Because the paper work can take some time to clear, it is important that you begin to investigate the visa application process as soon as you have accepted a firm offer of admission from a foreign school. Given the current Covid-19 crisis, it is understandable that there could be additional delays or a lack of certainty about policies.

The International Student Office of your university is happy to provide you with the information and support you will need to complete the visa process. The website of the consular office/embassy of the country in which you plan to study should also provide helpful insights concerning the required documents. Information about US visas can be found at https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/canadian-students; for information about UK visas, check http://ukincanada.fco.gov.uk/en/visiting-uk/visas/.

You should prepare as many of the documents as possible (e.g. proof of financial support) prior to receiving your final grades in July. Once your IB results come in, the final UCC transcripts and confirmation of your university acceptance can be arranged so that the visa application can be submitted in time to commence your studies in the fall.