Message from Naheed Bardai, Middle Division head
At UCC, we use a variety of communication tools to share information with you and your son(s). But we know that at times technology can be difficult to navigate. For this reason, we’ve put together a document which outlines where to find specific information which we hope you’ll find useful. Your feedback, ideas and recommendations are always welcome.
Parent Communication Guidelines
- In Bluenet, there are various tools to access information about your account and your son’s life at school. Under the Quick Links menu, you can find:
- your son’s schedule
- class lists
- parent directories
- hot lunch menus
- Use Netclassroom to access your financial account information and report cards.
- If you move or change phone numbers, please be sure to update your profile under the Quick Links menu as soon as you have the new contact information.
- Academic and athletic calendars are also available through Bluenet. See details in the Calendars section below.
Heads Up is the main way the administration communicates with parents about upcoming events and important information. Any information that’s relevant to the entire Prep School, an entire division, or a single grade will be communicated here. Please ensure that you check Heads Up each Thursday evening.
- UCC uses a variety of calendars:
- The Prep School calendar shows events that are only relevant to Prep School parents and students.
- The College calendar shows events that pertain to everyone at the school, including days of the cycle and school holidays.
- The Upper School calendar shows events that are only relevant to Upper School parents and students.
- Team athletic calendars can be accessed on the specific team’s site by accessing the UCC athletics page from Bluenet or going to www.goblues.ca.
- Several of these calendars are often displayed at once on a single view — on the Heads Up and Parent sites, for example — where different colours represent different calendars.
- If you have a Google account, you can add the relevant calendars to your own personal Google calendar so that you can view all events in a single place. This way, you won’t have to visit the websites for updates to school calendar events. See the FAQ section below for how to do this.
- Each Form 6 and 7 class has its own Google Calendar as well. Students have access to their own form’s calendar. This is an organizational tool where teachers post major assignment deadlines and test dates.
- Haiku is primarily a student organizational tool for Form 6 to IB2 students. Students in younger grades may use this tool as well for classroom activities. Parent access is available while a student is in Form 6 and until January in Form 7.
- A copy of the class Google calendar appears in Haiku with key dates and deadlines. This is the same calendar mentioned above.
- Teachers are expected to post a course outline and homework on their course site.
- While parents in the Middle Division have access, this is primarily a tool meant to help students stay organized. Please have conversations with your son about how they’re using Haiku.
We know that our inboxes are often full and overflowing. The Prep office will aim to minimize the use of one-to-one email communication. Email will mostly be used in emergencies or for communications with a single family or class. Because we won’t send reminders about school events by email, please be sure to check Heads Up each week.
Please feel free to email Primary questions or concerns to Crystal Arruda or call her at 416-488-1125, ext. 4010. Middle parents can email Gaby Lacayo or phone her at 416-488-1125, ext. 4001.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Where can I access all the information on Bluenet?
- From www.ucc.on.ca, click the login link on the top right or click the UCC Parents tab.
- Once logged in, use the Quick Links tab to access Net Classroom, directories, etc.
Google Calendar – Parents or Heads Up site
I only see part of an event. How can I see all the details?
- Click on the event and more details, such as specific times and a description, will open.
- Click the “More Details” link to open a separate window with all of the event details.
I only want to see the Prep School calendar. How do I do that?
- Click the small arrow in the top right corner of the school calendar. This will show you which calendars are available in the current view.
- Check the calendars you wish to see displayed. We recommend that you always keep the College-wide calendar showing in addition to the specific school calendar you’re interested in.
How can I have relevant UCC calendar events appear on my own Google Calendar?
- Sign in to your Google account. Visit either the Parents or Heads Up site and click the +Google Calendar button in the bottom right of the calendar. This will add the calendar(s) to the “Other calendars” section of your Google calendar.
I’ve added the relevant UCC calendars to my Google calendar. How do I get them to appear on my mobile device?
- Visit this Google support site and select your mobile device from the options provided.
How do I change my password?
- If you’ve forgotten your password, click the “Forgot your password?” link on the Haiku Learning login page. Follow the prompts to reset your password.
- If you simply want to change your password, log in to Haiku Learning and move your mouse over the small tree in the top right corner. Select “My Information” and then scroll down to click the “Change Password” button.
How do I turn off all the email notifications I’ve been receiving?
You may receive notifications about assignments, discussions or other modifications that are made to your son’s classes through Haiku. In order to limit or turn these notifications off entirely, mouse over the small tree in the top right corner of Haiku. Select “Notifications.” Next, uncheck any of the boxes where you no longer wish to receive notification emails.