Year 5 to Year 8 French | Program placement process
The purpose of this message is to share information about our Year 5 to Year 8 French programs and to explain the French program placement process to parents.
Our students have different backgrounds, knowledge, and skills in the language. In Year 5, 6, and 7, we respond to their needs by offering three French programs: Fast Track, Standard French, and Enriched. In Year 8, students study French in either the Standard French program or the Enriched program. Each of the programs presents the students with challenging and varied content with the goal for students to develop their communicative, receptive, and interactive competencies and to progress comfortably and reach their potential, keeping in mind that students have different learning styles and progress at different paces.
Here is a description of the three programs:
- Fast Track is a one-year program designed for students with either limited French backgrounds or in need of additional second language scaffolding and one-on-one teacher support to help give them the foundation needed to join the Standard French program.
- The Standard French program is designed for those students who have a foundation in French. This is a challenging and engaging program that exceeds the Ontario Ministry of Education expectations.
- The Enriched French program is designed for students with a strong background in French (immersion students, or who come from a French background) and/or who have exceptional skills and discipline in language learning. Students in this program will need to be able to express ideas fluently and spontaneously and demonstrate their understanding of authentic texts by the time they reach the end of Year 7.
Your child’s French Teacher is reviewing his progress to determine which of our French programs will be a good fit for him. Here is a description of the French program placement process for current students:
- For students currently in Year 4, the French Teacher will consult with parents if a student is being considered for the Fast Track or Enriched programs. For students currently in Year 5 or Year 6, if a student is being considered for a change of programs, his French Teacher will contact the student’s parents. In June, current Year 4, 5, and 6 parents will receive an email from the school confirming their child’s French program placement for 2021/2022.
- For students currently in the Year 7 Fast Track or Standard French programs, your child will be placed in the Year 8 Standard French program. Students currently in the Year 7 Enriched program will be vetted to ensure that they will meet the required expectations of the Year 8 Enriched French language learner profile and find continued success in the Upper School Enriched program. Current Year 7 students’ French program placement for next year will be confirmed in students’ June French report card comments.
If you have any questions, please contact your child’s French Teacher or email Tina Brunelle, the Coordinator of the French Language Acquisition Program.
Coordinator of the French Language Acquisition Program