Forms 6 and 7 laptop exchange
The laptops our students use across the school have reached the end of their three-year life cycle.
Each student in Form 6 and 7 will hand in their old laptop and receive a new MacBook Air at the end of the year. For Form 7 boys, this will occur after the boys write their last exam on Thursday, June 9. Form 6 boys will exchange their laptops on June 9 (6C) or Friday, June 10 (6M, 6T and 6B).
Laptops and power supplies must be returned in excellent condition as we will be returning these to the leasing company.
- We’ve already reviewed student laptops for preliminary damage and were very impressed with what we saw with these preliminary inspections as there were very few damaged computers among the Form 6 and 7 students. Students who have dents, missing keys, stickers and other damage have been informed that their laptop will need repair and/or cleaning.
- During their last ICT classes in late May and early June, students will be provided time and instruction on how to ensure all of their important files are backed up to the cloud using Google Drive. They’ve been encouraged to save their work to their Google Drive folder all year, but this time will be provided to ensure that no important work is lost.
- During their last ICT class, students will also review the UCC acceptable use policy for technology.
- When Form 7 students arrive for their last exam on June 9, they’ll hand in their laptop, case and Apple power supply. Form 6 students will do this at designated times on June 9 and 10.
- Once handed in, information technology staff will inspect all laptops and power supplies. If damage is found, the student will be provided with a receipt indicating the damage. The cost for repairing this damage will be billed to your account once it has been repaired. The charge for damaged or missing power supplies is $90. Please remind your son to pack his power supply in his laptop bag for June 9 or 10.
- Form 6 students will receive a copy of the acceptable use policy to bring home for you to review and sign with them. Form 7 students will be provided with the opportunity to re-read and sign the acceptable use policy after their last exam.
- Students will be given their new MacBook Air. At this time, students will also log on to our wireless network and re-sync their important files from Google Drive.
- Any personal software or media students have installed on their laptops will have to be reinstalled on their own time.
- The new laptops for Form 7 won’t come with a carrying case. They’ll have a protective plastic cover, but Form 7 students must bring a backpack to school on the day of their final exam in which to bring the laptop home. They won’t be permitted to leave their classroom without their backpack.
- For students who can’t attend the June 9 or 10 laptop exchange, alternative arrangements can be made for individuals to meet with Sarah Barclay to swap the laptops and complete the paperwork and transfer of files prior to the conclusion of classes on Monday, June 13.
- Form 7 students will be expected to bring their new MacBook Air to school on June 13 for exam review and reflection.
- All Form 6 and 7 student laptops are to be taken home over the summer and brought back to school in excellent condition in September.
SK to Form 5 Devices
For parents with younger students, the SK to Form 5 devices will also be returned to the leasing company. A new device will be waiting for you son in his homeroom in September.