Heads Up

Welcome to Heads Up, your one-stop source for news about your son’s upcoming activities and events.

Is English your Second Language?

Students who are not native English speakers may have to prove their English proficiency in order to gain offers of admission from Canadian, US, or UK universities. The most commonly accepted method of doing so is to provide universities with scores from an English proficiency test. Widely recognized tests include TOEFL, IELTS, and MELAB.

You can register online for the tests or download practice questions at ETS, IELTS or MELAB. It is imperative that you register for a test immediately if you have not already done so, as testing sessions fill quickly and you will not be offered admission without establishing English proficiency.

Individual university websites provide complete information regarding the circumstances under which they require proof of English proficiency and which test results they accept. It is your responsibility to check this information for any universities you are considering. If you are unclear whether you need to take an English proficiency test, please see your university counsellor.