Read all about A-Day’s fantastic line-up
We’ll celebrate the theme of “Community, Connection and Character” at the 36th annual Association Day next Saturday, Sept. 27. A-Day is a time-honoured college tradition and one of the biggest community events of the entire school year. It is a great way to launch the year.
As always, we’ll be featuring the popular New Parent Breakfast, Colour House Parade, Soccerfest, BBQ, Snack Shack, Prep Cafe, Dunk Tank, Hospitality Tent and Silent Auction, along with team sports, the Michael Evan Jurist Memorial Tennis Tournament and the BBC, ABC and UCC clubs.
We’ll welcome Old Boy co-chairs Max Chen ’95 and JP Mackay ’02. Many thanks for the generous support from Lucas Atkins ’98 for the generous sponsorship from Raymond James.
We’re very grateful for the generous and delicious support of Greg’s Ice Cream again this year, always a highlight. We look forward to, once again, enjoying Starbucks coffee and Kernels popcorn throughout the day.
After its huge success last year in its inaugural year, we are welcoming back “A-Tunes,” showcasing the musical talent of our own community with performing bands from the Prep, Upper School, Old Boys, faculty and staff.
Kidzone was also a great success in its new location last year. It’s back with new attractions including a blow-up wrecking ball. Items have been ordered this year with different age groups in mind, allowing for organized age-appropriate play. To complement the area, we have relocated Scholastic to be beside Kidzone.
Be on the lookout for the Blue Army who’ll be joined by the Prep’s Blue Cadets to raise Blues spirit throughout the day.
This year’s new features include:
- A new look and location for the Jon Wookey Market. We’re taking the market back to its original roots with Jon Wookey’s vision of an organic local market.
- The ABC will create three incredible community art pieces this year. Pick up a paint brush and add your special touch to a giant canvas. Create your own signature jump and we’ll capture it in a picture and create a community photo mosaic. We’ll provide the trampoline and you give us your best jump. Spray paint on to a mural created by graffiti artist and Old Boy, Javid Alibhai ’00 .
- The BBC has some fabulous new ideas to encourage UCC community spirit this year. There’ll be a spectator Blue Zone just for students to watch the varsity games and ramp up spirit.
- The BBQ tent and ice Cceam stand will offer new nut-free options.
- BBQ lunch tickets will be available for purchase ahead of time at the volunteer/info table near the main entrance. We hope that this’ll help to alleviate the line-up at the BBQ tent experienced in past years.
- We’re extremely excited to have the generous support of freshii in Forest Hill this year. They’ll be providing delicious and nutritious nut-free wraps.
Volunteering is again made easy with the online sign-up. Please volunteer and encourage your sons and daughters to do so as well. Upper School students can receive up to five service hours for volunteering at A-Day.
Donations to the Silent Auction are needed and would be greatly appreciated. Please contact Maria Karakoulas at email@example.com
So please come out and join students, Old Boys, parents, staff and friends of the College on this special day filled with spirit, friendship and fun.